A very common question I get asked and one I see on many ferment groups on Facebook is, “What is this stuff covering my pickles? Is it mold and do I need to throw them?”
No!!! Don’t throw them! It’s not mold. Mold needs oxygen to grow (which is why you see it on the outside of foods and not on the inside). If it’s under the brine, it ain’t mold.
So what it is? It’s yeast. Yeast is a natural part of a ferment and it will settle on the pickles and the bottom of the jar. It’s actually a good sign that your ferment is doing what it’s supposed to be doing. Yeast is microscopic but when enough of it gathers in one place, we can see it as a sediment. If you see a white sediment on your pickles, it worked!
If it bugs you, makes you squeamish, wipe it down, rinse it off, and enjoy.
**This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing from these links helps support Pickle Me Too, allowing me to post and store all of my free recipes. Thank you!**