I don’t like to eat out and I especially don’t like to eat out at a fast food restaurant but on the rare occasion that we do, Wendy’s is one of the few places we’ll go. They don’t use pink slime and their burger patties are actually made from beef. It’s not pastured organic beef but it is beef, no soy crap substitutes. On the good, better, best scale, it’s at least an ok.
Anyway, this isn’t meant to be an ad for Wendy’s. Avoid eating out (especially fast food) as much as you can. One of their menu items that we love is their chili. My kids ask for it all the time but I’m not going to to buy it for them as often as they would like. So I’ve set out to create my own version at home.
It took a few tries but I finally got it right. My favorite part of this recipe is all the veggies that my children don’t complain about eating. Green peppers, celery, onions and tomatoes.
Everything pictured in the bowl above is grown from our land except the celery. Even the ground beef and beans! There is nothing more satisfying than eating a meal you grew yourself.
- 4 tbsp oil divided (coconut oil, lard, tallow)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp chili powder (adjust amount to taste)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 chipotle pepper (optional, Wendy's does not use chipotle peppers)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef (grass fed, organic beef is the best)
- 4 cups cooked beans (use less if you don't like so many beans)
- 3, 15 oz cans chopped tomatoes (we used a mix of red and yellow tomatoes and tomatillos)
- 1, 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1-2 tbsp honey (adjust to taste)
- 1-2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add spices and sauté until fragrant.
- Add garlic, onions, green peppers and celery. Saute until onions are transparent. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil and brown meat.
- Add vegetables, tomatoes, beans, and broth.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and let cook for about 1 hr.
- Add honey and salt to taste.
- Serve with sour cream and cheese if desired.
**This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing from these links helps support Pickle Me Too, allowing me to post and store all of my free recipes. Thank you!**